6 steps to a cozy and safe fire (video)
Dec. 2, 2018—This is the time of year when curling up in front of a fireplace seems especially nice. Follow these six easy steps for building a safe fire in your hearth.
- Check that the damper or flue is open before lighting a fire.
- Put cooled ashes in a covered, fire-resistant container. Store them outside.
- Use minimal paper and seasoned wood.
- Have your fireplace and chimney inspected yearly.
- Stop sparks with a screen.
- Never leave a fire unattended.